Thursday, January 8, 2009

Resolutions . . . No thanks. Goals . . . sure.

I have never been one for resolutions. Ever. Can't thing of a single resolution I have ever made. And I don't know why I don't make 'em-- there are always ways to make my lifestyle better/healthier/happier, etc. And, I am actually good about finishing what I start, but for some reason I just don't make them.

However, my GOALS for this year (because, didn't you know, a goal is so not like a resolution?!) are as follows:

*Figure out a budget and stick to it (Grant's and my goal). We are not really budget people. We hardly spend extraneous money, and we generally know where our money is going, but we've never sat down and actually, gasp, budgeted.

*Live off of one salary and put the rest in savings. Lofty goal-- we might as well get used to it though. And if we can make it through these economic times, than we have a shot at this.

*Take baby steps in obtaining and eating the most natural foods as possible. I could go on and on about this. Part of our budgeting will be figuring out what natural foods I can splurge on. Oh, didn't you know- I'm in love with pasture fed, hormone free chickens and the precious eggs they produce. Don't roll your eyes . . . I can see you.

*Help my cats lose weight. Oh, my sweet little Sadie is a rather plump cat. She spends every waking moment consumed with the thought of her tasty little morsels of food. I'm serious people. It's bad and her cries are enough to drive me batty. I've already cut back on their food intake and it has helped some. I saw a biggest loser like competition for animals and thought about entering her, but then quickly thought that she might never recover from having to be weighed in front of her feline peers. She's sensitive like that.

*Improve my herb and vegetable garden. I'm itching to get it started again. Can't wait for March to roll around. I adore having basil, rosemary and tomatoes at my fingertips. Grant and I also want to landscape our backyard a bit. It's not feeling the love right now. Of course, that might change when I'm by myself on a Saturday and it's 100 degrees outside. Then I might throw this goal out the window.

*Try to live as plastic free as possible. I'm trying to build my stash of glass food containers this year and slowly get rid of all my plastic tupperware. Just something I want to do.

*Be able to do a sidesplit. Yep, my lifelong goal has been to do a sidesplit. Will this be the year?

So those are some of my more loftier goals.

What are some of your goals this year?

2 comments:

Move In Ready Home! said...

I think me and Marty set a goal to stick to a written budget at least 4x's a year. If you haven't already, check out David Ramsey's website. He has links to suggested printable budgets. He's great! Good luck :) Oh, and I've always wanted to be able to do a split too (and run a mile without feeling like I'm going to need an oxygen tank!)

Move In Ready Home! said...

Oops!! Dave Ramsey...not David.