Friday, February 6, 2009

"Real Food: What to Eat and Why"

So, I've alluded to this book before-- "Real Food: What to Eat and Why" by Nina Planck. Grant got it for me on a whim at Christmas and, I can honestly say it was the best Christmas present. Fantastic, easy to read, inspiring information.




Did I mention that if I ever went back to school I would want to study nutrition. I think it is so fascinating to know what nourishes and heals the body. I know, however, that I have different views on nutrition than the mainstream nutritionist. But that is what makes the world go 'round, I suppose!

This book is worth reading. Really, it is.

Here are the chapter topics:

*Real Milk, Butter, and Cheese

*Real Meat

*Real Fish

*Real Fruits and Vegetables

*Real Fats

*Industrial Fats

*Other Real Foods

*Beyond Cholesterol

*The Omnivore's Dilemma


I know that this book has inspired me to shop locally at my farmer's market, to look for "real" food products, to remember my mom and dad's values while growing up (i.e., margarine is poison, butter is good!), to think about the way people used to eat, and to value my body and the way it is designed to thrive with real nutrition.

No comments: