Friday, August 21, 2009

Revolutionary Road

Things have gotten busier at work and home so the reading has slowed down some. However, I did get to finish Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates this morning. It was a surprisingly easy read-- had an easy flow to it.

Of course, it was a sad tale of a middle class American family that ends in tragedy. If you've seen the movie, you know how it ends. Speaking of the movie, it was fun to read the book and already have pictures of Leo and Kate as the main characters.

This book was set in the 50's and it was interesting to see how much conformity went on during that decade. So much so, that I suppose I can imagine how many couples felt trapped and desirous of a nonconformist lifestyle. Not that this couple fulfilled their dream escape, but I would still argue that they most definitely were nonconformist.

Are any of the great novels happy stories? I guess I'll just have to keep reading.

No comments: