Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gyro Recipe

I've been asked for my gyro recipe after a post on the tzatziki sauce. For this recipe, I don't use measurements per se- it's one of my throw it all together and hope it works kind of recipe.

* Steak (i.e., flank steak-- anything that is sort of flat)
* Cavender's Greek Seasoning (I use this seasoning in almost everything)
* 1 or 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
* Worcestershire
* Whole Wheat Pitas
* Mild Banana Peppers
* Tomato slices
* Tzatziki Sauce (yogurt sauce)
* Paprika

I like to pound my steak to make it thinner (or buy some from the butcher already sliced thin). I marinade the steak with a little splash of Worcestershire , minced garlic and generous sprinkling of greek seasoning. Let the steak marinate for as little as 30 min. to overnight. Then I sear it/cook it in my cast iron skillet with a little olive oil over medium high heat. After steak has rested it for at least 10 min., I like to slice it.

Then I put the steak in a pita pocket with a generous serving of the yogurt sauce, some banana peppers and tomato slices (sometimes cucumber slices too or a little lettuce). I like to sprinkle a little paprika on the pita (specifically the yogurt sauce) for a little extra color!

That's it. Super easy and yummy. I have also done a loaf style gyro with hamburger meat and spinach. I don't like that as well, because it seems like meatloaf in a pocket (not as authentic to me).

2 comments:

Jan said...

Yay! Your Gyro recipe! I'm so excited and can't wait to try it. Thanks for taking time to post it. Thanks also for the link to your Greek seasoning.

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try it.