Monday, November 2, 2009

Light in August by William Faulkner

I was drawn to this novel because of its title. I am an August baby, so naturally, I assumed this book would be a good one! Well, it was good, but I have yet to figure out how the title fits the novel and even Wikipedia didn't have a great answer (his wife suggested the title).

Well, it's a book about racial tension/isolation in the South. It also has many blatant Christian themes throughout (which I did not pick up on while reading), the most obvious being Joe Christmas (J.C.) I'm not in school anymore, so I'm not going to beat myself over the head for missing important themes. I'm just reading for pleasure and then checking out Wikipedia for any details that I missed.

I like the novel's characters and how they are intertwined in each other's stories. I wish Faulkner would have given some more pages to the female character, Lena. She was the most interesting to me.

Overall, it was a good book and pretty easy to read. It's a long one though at 500+ pages.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I has to sludge through that book in 11th grade. Not one of my favorites. But maybe I'll give it another go in the future.