Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Silas Marner by George Eliot

Oh my. I loved this book. I mistakenly picked it up thinking it was on the BBC's list, but it was not. I decided to read it anyway (since I had it) and it was a short read.

It is the sweetest book. It's about a weaver losing everything he had only to be transformed by the power of a little golden-haired orphan girl. It's a story about redemptive love and the just/unjust getting what they deserved. It was written in 1861, so at first I didn't have high hopes that I would enjoy it. But, wow, I couldn't put it down.

I definitely would recommend this to anyone. It's short (183 pages) and is pretty easy to follow.

Interesting note: George Eliot is the pen name for Mary Anne Evans (It makes sense that a woman would have written this story)!

No comments: