Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Lovely Bones

I had some spare time at work this week (can you tell), so I was able to catch up on some reading. I ran out of books from the Times and BBC's list, so I went to my own personal stash at home and wouldn't you know, there was a book that I had been wanting to read (and was about to request from the library) sitting on my own shelf- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Ironically, I bought this book at a garage sale before the movie had come out.

It was such a fast, easy read. Not as upsetting as I thought it would be (judging from the movie previews and the back of the book.) It was touching and sweet in its own way. Basically, a story about a murder and heaven. The way that lives change. The way people cope with death. The way life keeps on unfolding.

Highly recommend this book if you want a fast, easy read. And I didn't even shed a tear- although I was close when Holiday, the dog, joins Susie in heaven. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for animals.

No comments: