Monday, February 8, 2010

Hospital v. Birth Center

I admit I have been lazy lately- no posts- but only because I find it a pain to load pics on my computer and the posts I had planned required pictures. I will try to do better!


Anyway, ever wonder why I chose a birth center (w/ midwives) rather than the hospital? Every single reason can be found in the documentary The Business of Being Born by Abby Epstein. Such a fantastic documentary.


I would encourage any woman who plans to get pregnant or is pregnant to watch it. I especially encourage anyone who plans to be with moms during a homebirth or birth center birth to watch it-- most people have a skewed image of what births are like (they only see what tv and movies portray it as), so this would give them an idea of what to expect during the process.



Some of my top reasons for a birth center birth are:


* birth my way (not strapped to a fetal monitor in the bed)


* no timelines (I'm not on the hospital's schedule, but my baby's)


* no separation of baby and mom after birth


* knowing the staff who will be supporting me during my birth (I would not know the nurses in the hospital who happen to be your support staff for the majority of the time)


These are just some of my reasons. And please don't get me wrong- I am so glad there are hospitals and Ob/Gyns available for the times when women need their expertise. I pray that I will not need to use them, but am so thankful they are there!

Have you seen the documentary? If so, what did you think?

1 comment:

Heather said...

seen it, loved it. I put off watching it for a long time because I thought it would be heavily biased but I felt they did a great job with balanced information. It was also great for my hubby to see and the little "cartoon" showing what happens with pitocin/epidurals has really stuck with him.