Thursday, October 7, 2010

T-Shirt into Dance Pants

I think this project is soooo cool.  I mean really, who thinks of these things?  I got this tutorial idea from my friend, Jan, who has the YouTube link on her blog post.  You've got to check out the YouTube tutorial to see how easy this really is.

    
I've done two pants.  For both, I've used an XL t-shirt.  It's a little big, but you can always tailor it to fit your body (large t-shirts are too small for me). 

Here are some of the things I discovered along the way:

* This is my great discovery- use a long sleeve t-shirt instead of a short sleeve t-shirt.  You can use the sleeve as your waistband instead of cutting up another t-shirt (like the tutorial suggests).  Fold the sleeve in half lengthwise and cut (the sleeve provides a natural tapering, just like the tutorial suggests).  You will have two pieces now.  Sew them together to create your waistband (sew it in a way that the two pieces create a tube, so you can pass your drawstring through).


(long sleeve folded in half- see the natural tapering of material)


(now cut the sleeve in half- you will have two pieces)

* I created a much smaller tube for my drawstring by sewing a 1/2 inch down the waistband.  This helped the drawstring stay in place and not bunch up so much.


(I put the pen at the place where I sewed)

* If you have a serger, serge your pants.  This will help keep the fray down. However, they are dance pants so if you don't have a serger you will be just fine.


Old T-Shirt


New Dance Pants

Awesome!

I'm posting this link to the Tea Rose Home Link Party, because although this is not my idea, I think it is too cool not too share!


3 comments:

Jan said...

Awesome dance pants! Love that you made more than one and absolutely LOVE that you had the idea of using a long sleeve t-shirt. Genius! They turned out GREAT!

Sachiko said...

This is a great way to repurpose t-shirts! Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Between you and Jan, I am getting some fabulous ideas! I can't wait to try this!